Pre-War Model 70 receiver

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 pm
Sirs, I do not have it in hand yet, Hopefully by mid-week next week. Anyway I bid on and won an auction listed as pre-war matching receiver and bolt magnum. 22XXX serial range.
I have read that the action screw spacing was the same for pre-64 receivers.
How does one tell if an action was chambered for a standard caliber or a magnum?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:15 am
Factory prewar Model 70 magnum rifles were offered only in 300 H&H Magnum and 375 H&H Magnum chamberings. These were later referred to as so-called "long magnum" cartridges. They are both longer and of larger diameter than common non-mags such as the 30-06 variety of cartridges and smaller.
A visible signature difference is in the bolt face. A "magnum" bolt face is larger to accommodate the increased diameter of the referenced magnum cartridges. If you have a non-mag pre-64 Win rifle to compare, the difference will be notable. You can a also find such 'specs' on the Internet. I don't carry them around in my head but surely other members here, particularly gunsmiths and reloaders do. Please don't use the old method of trying a live cartridge 'fit', which can lead to personal injury. Such unless the striker is first removed.
Your comment is correct that the guard screw holes are the same spacing for both mag and non mags in these pre-64 Model 70 rifles. However, that said, the magazine box lengths and corresponding well opening of the receiver, the magnum magazine spring and follower; all are different from standard length. Also the (wooden) stock magazine well opening would be longer and just a bit wider. Sometimes the real problem in buying into what you will have, that amateur gunsmiths/tinkerers have tried to make these actions feed other rounds and removed metal from the receiver in the process. Such leading to feeding nightmares.

For information, I'm a collector, not a gunsmith. Just some decades of dealing with the 'pre' Model 70!
Best wishes, good luck &...
My take

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 am
Thanks, iskra. I did some more net surfing and found a discussion you participated in on the gunboards.com forum in 4/09. You posted great info there too. So I can do one of two things when I get the receiver?
1) Measure the bolt face with a micrometer to see if it is a standard cartridge or magnum, or
2) Look for the milled cut out for the stripper clip? If it is milled then it is not a magnum?

I eagerly await the arrival of the receiver to see what I have.

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:28 pm
Partial post deleted. Complete post below.
Last edited by iskra on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 pm
Well... redoftx, I 'assumed' you were aware of the mag receiver bridge cut, eliminating the (useless on a mag) clip loading feature as you referenced. Your response the ever reminder, itself reminding me not to 'assume'! :) Yet suggesting you don't assume that if the receiver is correct, so will be the bolt. That despite any claims of originality. Even serial 'apparently' matching, I'd want to quickly check to make sure a correct magnum bolt residing there!

More often than brazenly palming off a standard receiver as a mag when not, an ersatz bolt swap much easier to purvey under the radar, particularly under such uncommon circumstances as your 'components' purchase.
Normal 'outside' measurement micrometer calipers don't work for your required bolt measurement task. Think of it like trying to measure the inside hole diameter of a doughnut! A cartridge (with care) or empty case still the handiest, simplest 'quick check'. (For instance, IF a common 30-06 or its genre case fits the bolthead... A tilt! Nearing the century mark since these 'prewar babies' birth, a 'parts is parts' mentality with plenty of opportunity for swaps/replacements, etc. 'Due diligence' recommended in inspecting your purchase!

For info... The Prewar Model 70 unmodified factory correct action, had ONLY 2 drilled & tapped sight holes atop the action. Those located on the receiver ring. Receiver bridge holes existed, but were side-mount, intended for receiver sights only (though cleverly adapted by such as the Stith firm for scope mounts). Of course unless originality is desired, this matter a 'no-matter'!

I'd appreciate knowing how... 'it all turns out'!
Again good luck &
Another take!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 pm
Thanks. I will just have to wait and see what it is when it comes in. I like the idea of checking with a spent 30-06 shell. I have more than a few of those. I'll let ya'll know.

Thank you again, redoftx.

Return to Winchester Model 70