Expert opinions needed

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm
I have a Winchester model 70 , my son inherited from his grandfather whom inherited from his father.#35455 so assume it was produced 1954,Mauser action,safety,etc, pre 64 all looks original, checkered stock etc..on barrel ..Stamped on rifle left side....Winchester proof steel-model 70-Winchester trade mark-7M/M. Then 7 MM REMINGTON MAGNUM.No serial number on action. Serial number on right side of barrel .

My question is from reading the 7MM Remington Magnum did not come out until 1962?

All 7MMs were 7 Millimeter Mausers, but states 7 MM Remington magnum, and have read somewhere Winchester did not produce this round in a Model 70 until after the Pre 64 was changed?

The rifle is in exceptional condition stock may have been re finished over the years to original and is glossy finished. Any insight would help

Can send pics text {PRIVATE PHONE # REMOVED}
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:18 am
Welcome...!!

NO TEXTING PICS...OR... EXCHANGING PHONE NUMBERS IN PUBLIC VIEW HERE...EXCEPT THROUGH PRIVATE EMAILS...PERIOD.

Thank you.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm
Got it............apologies.............

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 pm
I recently posted regarding pre war serial # 35455....barrel shows 7MM remington though...should be a 1954 or 1955 number but again that cartridge was not produced then (1962) and not produced by Winchester until after the 70 was redesigned ,gun seems all original, recently bought a scope for it and cannot find a 2 piece rail to mount the scope, thought the STD 70rvr 2 piece in # 50020 or 50021 would fit it but have been to Cabelas, Bass Pro, and a local gun smith house and nobody knows and would have to research? please PM and I will send email with pics as I cannot find any one whom can identify this gun or lead me to a scope mount

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm
All,

Bert at the Gun Values Board was able to answer my question.....$9.95 for the expert advice was well worth it............. ..fyi.....It is a 1941 model 7MM Mauser that a talented gunsmith has re calibrated some time after 1962 to Remington 7MM.........adios

Return to Winchester Model 70