Blued action with stainless barrel, original from factory??

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 pm
I recently purchased another model 70 in .270cal. This rifle appears to be all original but has a walnut stock, blued action and a stainless barrel. So far I haven't been able to find any info to determine if this is a factory produced rifle or a re-barreled rifle. The barrel is a Winchester barrel and says "classic-stainless". A friend of mine says that he has seen rifles like this before but I can't remember ever seeing this combination from the factory. My question is, did this rifle come in this configuration from the factory and if so is it somewhat rare or worth more than a standard blued action/barrel model? The serial number is G109XXX. The rifle has been hunted and has a few "beauty marks" on the stock and barrel but is in what I would consider very good condition. Thanks ahead of time for reading and responding to my post.

Just wanted to add a few more details....

Controlled round action, standard tapered barrel, and nice walnut stock with checkering and red recoil pad.

Could this possibly be a early coyote model?

Muskee50

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm
Wow, surprised that I haven't had any responses yet. I have been looking on all the different sites that sell Winchesters and have yet to see one like this. The Coyote models seem to be made much later. If I'm reading the collector's chart correctly I think this rifle may have been made in 1969. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated or anyone that could point me in the right direction to get more info would also appreciated. Thanks again.

Muskee50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:19 pm
Winchester reintroduced the control round feed in 1994

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:39 pm
Are you sure you have a controlled round feed and not round push feed the coyote models are push feed

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm
Definitely control feed. If there are no models made with blued actions and stainless barrels except coyotes with push feed actions, the only explanation is that it has been re-barreled for some reason. I like the looks, I am just hoping that it shoots well if it has been re-barreled.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:20 am
The first step in checking if it's been rebarreled is to remove the stock there is an index mark from the barrel to the center of the recoil lug check to see if those lines mate up perfectly

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Thanks for the help Mr. 70. I removed the stock and the index marks on the barrel and the recoil lug appear to line up perfectly. I also noticed that the action and barrel have been bedded. The lettering on the sides of the barrel also line up well with the stock. Is there any other way to find out if this is original? I have not seen any rifles of this year configured like this. Does it hurt the value if it has been re-barreled? I bought it to hunt with and got a good deal on it so I'm not really concerned about value, just thought it was interesting looking and I like Winchester rifles. I tried to load some pictures but it said they were too large to post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:39 am
It hard to say with out a picture but my guess is it was rebarreled with a factory take off barrel
I would strongly recommend checking the head space before firing
The value is based on the gun being original and condition
it sounds like a shooter

Return to Winchester Model 70