Model 70 trouble

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 pm
Hi all, I'm new to the site and have some questions for the experts. I posted my question earlier in a reply to another topic, but I figured I should just start a new topic..
I have a 15ish year old model 70 .270wsm that was given to me by my father. It was the black shadow model and had the blind magazine which I wasn't crazy about. I haven't used it much because I have other hunting rifles that Im pretty fond of, but i recently decided to make the model 70 how I want it and start getting it ready to hunt with. I bought a bell and carlson stock with full bedding block, new bottom metal, Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold vx3i scope and installed everything. Before I did anything to the gun it held a fairly decent group.. can't give exact numbers because its been years since I shot it in the old configuration, but now it's all over the place. 5-6" 100 yard groups. I torqued the two action screws(front and rear) it doesn't have a way to use the center screw, to around 24lbs, I also torqued my bases and scope rings to manufacture specs.. can anyone here steer me in the right direction of where I should start looking to try to get this thing to shoot a little better?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:33 pm
Could be a 1000 things did you change ammo
Is the throat scorched
Put the gun back in the original stock see how it shoots you could have a bedding problem with your new stock

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am
I did not change ammo. The gun has probably less than 100 rounds through it total. What would I need to look for if there is a bedding problem? Does the barrel tend to do better on there totally free floated?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 am
Was that 24 foot pounds or inch pounds on those action screws

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 pm
J9mcgaha wrote:I did not change ammo. The gun has probably less than 100 rounds through it total. What would I need to look for if there is a bedding problem? Does the barrel tend to do better on there totally free floated?

Did you follow the Bell and Carlson instructions for making sure the barrel is free floated properly? The first thing I would do is make sure that the recoil lug fully seats in it's pocket. You may need to scrape the bottom of the pocket to ensure that happens. After that, follow the instructions on the B&C website for properly free floating your barrel.

That said... was your barrel bedded in the original stock? If it was, you may or may not need to do that again. It will all depend on how well it shoots after it's properly free floated.

Return to Winchester Model 70