New Model 70 Super Grade Quality issues

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:18 pm
I recently bought what I thought was a really nice rifle,until I started taking the rifle apart to clean it and oil it up before taking it to the range.The finish on the lower receiver,floorplate, have real bad machine marking and gouges.The worst issue is the lower receiver has a small pitted rust area that they knew was there, however they blued over it anyways..Also the safety is extremely difficult to move.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:54 pm
Just the sidebar note that it's a bit of time since I've been to this forum. Busy with life!

Addressing your question. The notation, a lot here in what you DON'T say. First, please share, who are alleged culprits, "they"? Did you purchase the gun new? If so, in warranty? Did the seller, particularly if a gunshop, offer any kind of warranty/return right? (If so, presumably your first stop with them. (Presumably the 'them' of your 'they".)

My interpretation. The safety not engaging properly a material issue IF not fooled in manner to create the problem. in any case, better not to field it in such condition with suggested risks involved.
The "pit" may be the "pits" but assessing as something of lesser chance for claim especially if bought used and you simply didn't notice prior to purchase. Aesthetics, more problematic for adjustment other than timely objection by original purchaser to selling retailer or factory. The rough workmanship you refer to; presumably inside the floorplate & noticeable only upon disassembly?
IF you can answer the above questions and verify the vintage of your SG, perhaps more useful reply possible.
My take

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:24 am
I purchased the gun online from a reputable dealer,last week.I have worked the safety back and forth many times,still it is very hard to move,The issue that I have is the poor quality of maching,And the rust pits that they blued over,I do have quite a few pictures, however I can't load them they are too big, when I'm able to get back to my home computer I will upload them.I emailed Winchester about the issue,I haven't received a response as of today.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 am
The gun is New,and was purchased through Buds Gun shop
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:15 am
Bummer on the poor quality. Winchester has been slack for several years. Then came the ridiculous hammer-block safety. In the past, Winchester always made good any defects or replaced the piece.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:21 pm
A shame about your experience! Sounds like you're on the right track for a "warranty claim". Probably best if any communication, you use that specific term with sufficient information. Gun SN, where & when purchased. That to avoid back & forth comms in establishing warranty status. I've bought a few guns from Buds about a decade ago. Good shop; well satisfied. But this really isn't about them; simply intermediary likely dealing with sealed box content as it arrived to you.

Aesthetics certainly a warranty item, but I'd ping on the safety in urgency context of "unsafe product". If no/unsatisfactory contact in 'reasonable time', perhaps 14 days from your advisement, a certified letter followup. Important that any literature with the rifle and/or Website warranty claim procedure instructions be followed lest you get the blame for them not properly 'getting the word'.

I'd expect you'll get good treatment and the claim resolved. How soon, perhaps the greater issue! One of my questions above sill outstanding. Whether the aesthetics are external or internal (requiring disassembly to note). Rust shouldn't be present. Rough machining/"pits"... a 'maybe' if essentially viewing normally unseen guts and such not affecting function. Lack of fine machine work in finish within context of 'nether regions', perhaps one way to keep costs down and their products affordable. Between my own prewar Model 70 rifles and my almost new 1963 production 300 Win Mag model, big differences! Metal finish, bit gritty feeling action cycling, stock quality. Owners needing to go with the flow era-wise regarding attention to detail realities.

Please do keep in touch for the benefit of others here. I'll try to get back more often than 'less than once a year'! :)

Good luck and...
Just my take

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:06 pm
Bummer, I have a 70 Super in .270 WSM on order. I have a Featherweight in 30-06 and I have no complaints. It shoots moa at 200 yards on a sled. I cant say that I care a lot for the 3 stage safety and it is stiff but doesn't affect my shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:23 pm
sschefer wrote:Bummer, I have a 70 Super in .270 WSM on order. I have a Featherweight in 30-06 and I have no complaints. It shoots moa at 200 yards on a sled. I cant say that I care a lot for the 3 stage safety and it is stiff but doesn't affect my shooting.
I was able to take a look at a few new supergrades and saw the issues you were talking about. It's still a good rifle but darn it if you pay for super grade you should get it. I was able to stop the order and bought a used McMillan Prodigy in .270 WSM. Almost 3 times the price but worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 pm
Found a McMillan Dynasty in .270 WSM.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 am
The quality issues with SuoerGrade Winchester Model 70s is not the finding of every dealer I know. I own three pretty new ones. They are all as good as any rifles at that price range. I also have some new Featherweights, some high grade or Suoer Grade versions of that. Also superb quality. To compare that to rifles costing as the last post states 3X the price, and with a synthetic stock? Personally if I went in that direction I’d go buy a Browning X Bolt Pro in 6.5 and get real high tech and proven production in decent volume. Rather than buying a rifle costing 3X more. But in all purchases, the buyer is right if they are happy with what they bought. The standard Featherweight Winchester Model 70 usually gets the highest marks from dealers who sell them. In terms of the most modern, the Browning X Bolt probably gets the high mark. For that matter the new Winchester XPR certainly can shoot accurately for a very nominal price. But Winchester Model 70 Suoer Grade issues today? Not from what I or many dealers say.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm
I have a model 70 extreme weather that is flawless in fit and finish ,very nice rig IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:54 pm
I do have a 70 Featherweight in 30-06 and the fit and finish on it is excellent. I also have a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM which many say and I agree is one of the finest production rifle out there right now.

The dealer I was working with had 3 supers and as we looked them over very closely you could see the small and annoying flaws. They were only annoying and wouldn't affect the rifles capabilities.

The McMillan is not a production rifle so it's not even in the same class. Given the choice and the money, I would take a pre Strategic Arms McMillan G30 Dynasty hands down. McMillan stocks are fiberglass and well known as the best there is but they also make a Grade V Claro Walnut stock if you want the extra weight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 pm
Just checking back for any status update in Chris situation. None! Hope his concern being taken care of. The generalization that so many products of all sorts simply not the quality of 'old'. Secondly, that quality control resting now very much more in hands of consumers. Especially aesthetic matters. The theory, maybe one in fifty will actually go to the trouble of filing a warranty claim. Those other forty-nine with potential claims, a free pass for the manufacturer! heck of a way to do business, but the 'new order'! I'll most always take a good used gun. That and the hands-on opportunity to inspect.
Just my take

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 am
Iskras statement of hands on inspection is correct. There are however dealers that STOCK Suoer Grade Model 70s. One of my two local dealers does. You would have to take the rifle apart to find a single flaw. I have a Winchester I Shot in 1949, and still own. It is a very accurate rifle. The brand new ones I own are probably more accurate on a bench rest rating. I look at Super Grades a lot. I never pass one on a rack without examining them. Again, every dealer I know rates them as suoerb. I would though comment that Featherweights should once again be produced in Super Grade. I have two. They are awesome. Still each buyer needs to make this assesment themselves. That kind of money is hard to come by. In my farming and ranching older years I cannot afford to just go buy every rifle that appeals to me. Synthetic stocks though rarely appeal to me. The one I like best is the Browning X Bolt Pro. I have never seen a McMillian rifle in a hunting camp. Their stocks though are amoung the best synthetics ever made according to many. I have a Shot Show Special Featherweight Special run rifle on order. I can only assume the workmanship will be well beyond what I will pay for the rifle. On the other hand I paid substantial money down and will not get the rifle until the last month of this year. Super Grades though are a heavy rifle. That is why I don’t own as many of those. Featherweights in high quality, premium editions to me are the way to go.

Return to Winchester Model 70