Winchester Model 70 post 64 unknown type/modifications

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 pm
I've just traded a Winchester model 190 22cal for a model 70 270 cal. I was looking for a bolt action centerfire for target and maybe coyote eradication.

Barrel- has been shortened ( has cut marks on it),Barrell is 18.5 inches long vice marks on the barrel, 2 screw holes for front sight don't look factory but are the normal ( i believe) 2" spacing. There were 2 screw holes for the rear sight. There is a mark near base of barrel, looks like a light hit for the proof marking. No other serial numbers. Blueing is crap and it looks like someone was resting it on the top of a steel fence post when firing.

Action- It looks to be a post 64, blind magazine and tapped for reciever sight. It has the push feed bolt, 3 position safety. There is just reminants of the serial number on the receiver, it has a"octogon" profile on the the receiver, also has machining marks on it. There is an engraving on the bottom of the action from a local gun smith ( long closed) dated 1980. Bolt handle is flatish. I've cleaned it all up and it works very nicely.

Stock- Its been unloved, front swivel eye was missing. It seems to have the lines of a Schnabel but I have not seen any with no front checking so I wonder if it was sanded off. It has a wood cap on the grip cap with obvious sanding marks around it. It has a White Line Pachmayr butt pad. Off course could be after market but has the block pin.

I would like to return this to a good working gun with the history of the Model 70. i don't mind the patina. I've put a scope on it and shot a box and a half through it. It did better than the Savage Axis .243 that was shooting with me but it wasn't MOA. I'll continue trying different rounds, maybe try to figure out some hand loading options. I don't think it wise to spend many more dollars on the gun but I don't mind putting time into it. I've just sanded the stock to get free float. Maybe do a glass bedding? ( I've never done one before)

I would like to know the guns original model and what is was like before the work had been done.
Any background or guesses you can give are appreciated.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:04 pm
Some pictures of the barrell ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Pictures of the receiver, actionImageImageImageImageImage

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:15 pm
Stock and flat bolt handle ImageImageImageImage