Pre-64/Post-64 stocks

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:01 pm
I purchased a pre-64 long action featherweight and would like to put new wood on it. The rifle already has an aftermarket stock but I would like to put some Winchester wood back on it. I found a nice stock for what looks like a Classic which is similar to the pre-64 but I'm not sure of the dimensions are similar enough to work. Could someone enlighten me to whether the two are interchangeable? Thank you!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm
Welcome clance, your question is better answered by a gunsmith or stock maker. You may also be able to tell with excellent measurement.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:41 am
They won't fit without a bit of modification. That's why they sell the pre and post 64s separately on sites like Stocky's. I also have a pre 64 M70 featherweight from my grandfather who cut the stock to fit him. I changed it to a Bell & Carlson pre64 M70 FWT for the field and also picked up a nice original replacement should I want to swap it back.

Attached are photos of the B&C and replacement factory stock. EBay and pre64win.com are both good resources to finding what you need. ImageImage

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Return to Winchester Model 70