Winchester Model 70 Troubleshooting

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 am
Those scope block screws aren't too long are they? I agree with the previous action screw tension suggestion as well..

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 am
bob lewis wrote:Wilderness 1864, I would suggest a telephone call to Winchester before firing that rifle!

Called Winchester and they just said to ship it back. Went to a gunsmith before just shipping in back. It might have been something simple, and it was. Problem resolved.

Call this one "operator error". Gunsmith was able to tell just by moving the bolt forward. When I mounted my scope, I mixed up one of the rear base screws with a front base screw. The rear screws are a bit longer but the threading is the same. The longer misplaced screw protruded into the receiver and stopped the bolt from going all the way forward. Swapped the screws and everything works just fine.

Can't say I am proud of that gaff, but I thought I would post my mea culpa here so that other readers are aware of what happened to me and can be careful to check that when mounting a scope to avoid a similar problem. Will be test firing and sighting in later this week.

Thanks for your reply.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:53 pm
Happens to the best of us...at least the "problem" is resolved...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:03 pm
I have a post 1968 Model 70 Classic Featherweight and for whatever brain fart reason, purchased an SA XTR stock for it, which doesn't fit. I didn't know and didn't ask enougn questions of the seller. Go figure. I will regretably be selling the ever-so-nice SA stock and looking for the RIGHT one the next time. What should I be looking for?
If it was easy, anybody could do it.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:07 am
Wilderness, very glad that it worked out so well for you also that you were man enough to explain the problem. Well done!
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:55 pm
Hi all, new to the site. What brings me here is an issue with my model 70 270wsm. It is somewhere around 15 years old and was originally one of the black shadow models. I recently replaced the stock with a bell and carlson with full bedding block, added bottom metal to get rid of the blind magazine, and put Talley lightweights and a Leupold vx3i on it. My groups are terrible now when shooting out of a rest on a bench. Any suggestions where I should start troubleshooting?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am
Somewhere in your restocking the pressure on the barrel, etc., went wrong. I had Ultimate Shadow. It was in .243.it shot under MOA with the synthetic original stock on the stainless steel barrel and action. Finally put a Boyd Black laminate pararie Hunter replacement stock. Had to make no changes at all on this finished stock. Then I blueprinted it, glass bedded the tang area and just arround the barrel block. It looked great.Shooting it was amazing as now it is usually 1/2 MOA with a Caldwell Lead Sled. It doesn’t seem to care what ammo either. I measured the barrel free float and it is absolutely perfect. I think if you can find out what is rubbing on the barrel, etc., you can straighten out your rifle. I chose the .243 by the way since I find, like the 6.5 Creedmore, they are inherently quite accurate. Your rilfe has a good stock now, but the barrel has got to be properly bedded and free floated. I chose Not to use Pilar bedding on a
Laminate stock as it is usualiy umneccessary.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:03 pm
Need help/advice on how to remove the front elevation sight on a 1937 30GOV'T'.06

I tried bare fingers and it won't slide left or right ( I assume that it just slides but wanted to check here). I'm positive that its never been removed before so it's tight.

I picked up a no tap Q.E.D. Scope mount that I wish to install. The rear scope mount looks easy.

Photos of rifle here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6V9xCR Last photo is close up of elevation sight.

Return to Winchester Model 70