Getting into hunting...considering M70 EW SS .300 WM

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 am
I am getting back into hunting after being out of it for a long time, which is another story.
I've done some looking around and a little research. Other than what some folks consider to be the gun that their friends will think is pretty, the gun I seem to be going back to is the M70 Extreme Weather SS in the .300 Win Mag. I would mostly be hunting Whitetail deer here in Mississippi, but I do plan on hunting bigger game down the road. Quite frankly, I want a gun now that will allow me to hunt a wide range of animals. I especially plan to do some Elk hunting in a few year, then perhaps once a year. I also plan to hunt other big game as well. I'm open to all opinions, from expert details and analysis to the weekend hunter. Thanks
.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm
Welcome to the forum!

.300 Win Mag is a good caliber for sure. I wouldn't rule out 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag though. All will work just fine for whitetail. I think if the biggest thing you want to hunt is elk then .300 is a good caliber.
Ryan_________________________

Winchester 94 30-30 Win

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm
Wise choice you love that model 70
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:32 pm
Thanks guys. Now I'm wondering what Brand of ammo, grain, and specific bullet of a particular brand to use. I was looking at Hornady GMX Superformance. Any experience with that line of ammo?

Return to Winchester Model 70