1946 Vintage Model 70 Questions

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:24 am
I recently acquired a pre 64 Model 70, serial # 57XXX, caliber 30-06. I bought it from the second owner, in minty condition, with very little use. It is equipped with what appears to be a period Williams peep sight. I am largely uninformed about Model 70s, but wanted a pre 1950 gun and this fits the bill. Everything appears original and untampered with, except for the addition of the peep sight. The rifle is missing the buttplate, and the forearm appears to have never been checkered(?) I believe the correct butt plate is checkered steel. I note however, that the wood at the top of the butt stock on my rifle does not have the small V shaped cutout that would appear a necessary inletting to fit the correct(?) steel butt plate. The end of the butt stock is straight with no curvature, with a black paint-like finish, and appears original and unaltered, of full length. It is just missing the buttplate. I suppose the logical answer is that at some point the original steel butt plate was removed, and a rubber butt plate of some sort was attached, though again, the stock looks to be of correct original length, and shows no signs of having been cut. Were these guns occasionally made with no checkering for the forearm? I’d be grateful for information in this regard. Thanks, Chas.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:30 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Charles !!

Not sure about your particular rifle....maybe some pictures of the areas in question will help find you an answer.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:08 am
Shooter, thank you for your Forum hospitality and photos suggestion. I will get some pix assembled and uploaded. Best regards, Chas

Return to Winchester Model 70