1924 Model 12 20ga Help

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm
Newbee here so easy on me guys....

Just inherited from uncle Bud a model 12, s/n 344xxx, 1924. My guess it to be in good to very condition. There is one issue I do have and it's concerning the slide lock button. It is almost impossible to release the action unless the unit is not cocked. 'Lock-up' is very tight. I find that not to be a normal situation as surely one would want to safely unload. Cursory visual inspection seems that the action is pretty clean. I broke down the unit for cleaning/inspection and did indeed find the action/internals very clean. I inspected for burrs and other probable causes for the slide lock problem. I found one area that might be the cause but I am not sure. Can the cause be the bolt not seating flush with the receiver extention face (inner contact face for the bolt thus causing a 'stack up' issue). There is a screw protruding thru the receiver extention from the barrel side which is indenting on the bolt front face edge.

See photos. Am I on the right track? Any help much appreciated.

S&W_M12_03.jpg
Screw protruding above flush on bolt seating face.
S&W_M12_03.jpg (203.56 KiB) Viewed 4368 times

S&W_M12_01.jpg
Bolt face, dimple on lower edge.
S&W_M12_01.jpg (237.65 KiB) Viewed 4368 times

S&W_M12_02.jpg
Screw from barrel side on receiver extention.
S&W_M12_02.jpg (242.36 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:25 pm
See post above ^^ for background.

"impossible to release the action unless the unit is not cocked".

With further reading, I found that possibly an incorrect "trigger job" can change hammer position, thus interfering with the action slide lock catching on the hammer (which this does). See photo. Action slide lock will not move upward/forward because the cocked hammer is 'too' high(?).

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS INQUIRY IN THIS THREAD>>>THANK YOU !!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Discontinued Winchester Models