Newbie Here ... Direction Needed

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:51 pm
I have just come into possesion of a 1940 Model 74. Gun is in decent shape physically. I have not fired the gun yet.

I have restored about 15 .22LR Marlins in the last year. Redone stocks, repaired exterior damage and rust on barrels and blued and refurbed the actions.

Was wanting to undertake same take project with the 74.

I know little to nothing about the 74. Gun is inherited.

Is the 74 a gun that is more valuable if left in original state or is the gun not worth keeping original. In my world if the gun is not worth more than say $400.00 in it's original condition that would not stop me from doing a refurb and restore on the gun.

Where do I go to get an answer to my question or can someone here give me answer to my question?

Thanks for any help in advance.

rjtmac
20g
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:19 pm
Your concerns are far above my pay grade. I can welcome you to the Winchester site though.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the NEW MEMBER WELCOME AREA...so that we may get to know you better.

Read all the rules here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21

Enjoy the forum.

SHOOTER13
Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:23 am
As far as the Model 74...a picture could help us determine the condition and hence, the worth.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:50 pm
If you plan to keep and never get rid of it then a rehab is fine. If for collectors value down the road...never rehab!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Discontinued Winchester Models