Miroku Made Winchester 52 Scope Base

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 pm
I recently purchased a used Winchester model 52, 22 long rifle bolt action firearm made in Japan by Miroku. It appears to be a very nice firearm. I started looking for a scope base to go on the receiver of this gun where it is drilled and tapped. I'm in my 2nd week of research and have had quite an ordeal trying to find out anything about a scope base other than they all seem to be discontinued.

The original Winchester 52, made in the U.S.A. between 1934 and 1969 used "scope blocks" on the barrel, one in front of the receiver and another one about 4-6 inches out on the barrel. The long Unertl scope was mounted on these barrel blocks and I guess kind of cantilevered back over the receiver. In the 1990's when Miroku made these guns for Winchester and Browning, they changed the scope mount to the receiver where it is drilled and tapped with 2 holes in front of the ejection port and 2 holes behind the ejection port.

Burris made a scope base for these Japanese reproductions and it's model number #41030 has long been discontinued. I contacted Talley with no help. I called EGW and they made a Picatinny rail base that is mounted to the barrel where the original barrel blocks must be removed. They do not make a mount that goes on the receiver.

I have searched and searched the internet for a week with little success for any references to the Japan made, Winchester stamped model 52, or the Browning stamped model 52. It seems like these guns didn't exist when it comes to finding scope bases.

Does anyone on here know of any scope bases that will work on the Japan Winchester or Browning 52? I have Leupold standard 1-inch rings for those type of bases, and I have Burris XTR rings for Picatinny or Weaver bases. There must be some other bases maybe designated for a different rifle that has the same screw spacing as these Japanese model 52 rifles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Another week without success and this beautiful rifle goes back to the seller.

Rod

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm
Well, I don't have to worry about finding a scope base for the Miroku made Winchester model 52 bolt action rifle. I took it back to the seller and swapped it for a 1958 made Winchester 62a in 97+% condition. This was someone's safe queen. Not a mark on it. Only a little bluing off of the action slide where it moves in and out of the receiver. The only other distraction is the inner magazine tube. It's a little bent and out of round. So it's a little hard sliding in and out of the outer magazine tube. I've looked up replacements, but they are all Chinese made, brass, and have a plastic follower. The original tube is steel and has a metal follower. I've polished the original steel tube and that made it a little easier to move. But it doesn't distract from the operation of this nice little rifle. I plinked some 4 inch knockoff steel targets today and was able to hit all of them on the first shot at 25 yds. Not bad for these 68 year old eyes that suffer from Vitreous Membrane Detachment. Some day I'll set up the shooting bench and do some double sandbag rest shooting with a bunch of different ammo to see what it likes.

Rod
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:31 am
Looking forward to the range report Rod !!

Return to Discontinued Winchester Models