WTB: Winchester 1894 30-30

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:09 pm
Hi There Winchester Forum Folks. I have spent more than a little time looking for a Winchester Model 1894 30-30 sort of like the one I photographed in a museum. It has a mounted scope so it is not the very original 1894. Note the stock has a pretty decent grain. It also has a recoil pad which I would not require. I would actually prefer the modern style front piece on the forearm. I would order one like it if the Miroku Plant was doing them. The present stocks just run pretty plain. Nice wood, but not much figure to the stock.

Also I would rather the 1894 had NO Scope at present but stock factory sights or say a Skinner Peep sight.
Attachments
The Winchester I am Looking For.JPG
The Winchester I am Looking For.JPG (230.86 KiB) Viewed 18277 times
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:05 pm
Looks good Davy...best of luck !!

( Fixed your title to conform with the Marketplace Rules...)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:24 pm
Thanks for the WTB correction.....I checked with Wening in Missouri. $1,300 for an extra fancy stock. If it were available from Winchester that would run max $400 extra.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 pm
Yea...that stock did look a little expensive.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:34 am
This rifle belonged to Clarence Petty. He donated it to the Adirondack Museum. Clarence was a lifelong conservationist and a very remarkable person. He was one of three brothers. I worked for them all. They were all incredible men! The other brothers were Bill Petty and Arch Petty. Bill was the Regional Supervisor of Region 5 in Northern New York. Arch Petty was Regional Fisheries Manager out of Cortland, NY. I did not notice the donated credits on the rifle at the museum until I looked at the entire image zooming in on my high resolution photos AFTER I posted the lower resolution ones on the Forum. Since over 7 million of these rifles were produced they have been made in a myriad of stock qualities, this one was clearly better than average in stock quality (and color according to my eye). I myself would NOT want one with a lot of engraving. The scope is a Scout Model which I know little about but I am sure Clarence had it set up right. He lived to 104 years old and was so alert for those years it was wonderful!

The museum setting it is in is magic in it is in a hunting cabin which they named the Buck Lake Club. When you walk in it is decorated just like the guys were in camp. I have never myself seen a better depiction of a hunting camp anywhere. I saw a "gunfight" on two lever action 30-30s that started by saying the 30-30 is an old (true) and maybe obsolete cartridge ( Chuck Hawks on the internet describes it as probably the best single deer cartridge......
and Jack O'Connor wrote that it would be around for many more years).

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 am
The Clarence Petty rifle pictured I am sure was direct from Winchester and only cost a modest amount more than the regular stocks. Sadly the options that Winchester used to provide seem to be getting far fewer in number. The current 1894 rifle though is certainly incredibly well made and accurate. Just the current rifle runs with a very nice and very straight grained American Walnut stock.

For those into more select woods though we now have to wait how long before a deluxe model is offered. Hopefully the Winchester 94 will again be offered by Winchester direct as a deluxe rifle. That will jack the price up about $300. Sending a current rifle to a custom stock company will run for that grade stock about $1,300.

This illustrates how much custom work costs. HOWEVER the custom stock option would allow you to pick a specific piece of wood with the extra fancy stock of your choice. One of a kind wood selection would drive that cost to roughly $5,500......taking it out of practical hunting rifles and putting it into the exhibition class
which I personally have no interest in. Even if I felt it was within my budget.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 am
Awesome history...thanks for sharing !!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:36 am
Maybe a model 64 with a Lyman peep sight would be a good fit for your needs. They are a bit harder to find than model 94's, almost the same action as a model 94 but with a curved lever and butt stock. I picked this one up a few years ago for $200, I haven't seen many others for sale, but they are available.
Attachments
Lyman56-1.jpg
Lyman56-1.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 18255 times
64.jpg
64.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 18255 times

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:19 am
I did check my usual sources and could not find a single listing for this Model 64. I would guess from this that your purchase was a very lucky one. It looks good to me! I am very glad you posted the photos to see what you mean and photos are worth quite a few words. I am a better photographer than a writer.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:22 am
Final check (I hope with my local gun store about the current Winchester Model 94 Sporter. They were able to find a distributor who had at least one. Now the price and timing to me? The video posted by one of the Forum Moderators was extremely helpful. It also showed why I myself favor the Sporter model over the short rifle.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:36 am
Good luck, I hope you can get the rifle you are looking for.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:02 am
Hello Skinner, good to see you back on the forum.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 pm
My dealer says he can get the new 1894 Sporter model in 30-30. We agreed on a price. Now he is in final negotiations with his distributor. It is not particularly easy to buy these new Winchester. If I walk in gun dealers like Gander Mountain, etc. all they have anymore is rifles I would never have bought at any time in my life. It does seem that special ordering is getting to be the principal way of getting what you want. Even five years ago desirable rifle availability seemed better. Still my dealer can get the new Model 70 Sporter. I will let you know how that works out.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 am
There was only one new Sporter 94 at the distributor so not like I am going to get a choice of stock figured wood! It is ordered. I already bought a box of 150 grain Winchester Super X 30-30 for it.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:48 pm
Great ! I hope you enjoy your new rifle.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:39 am
It is now being shipped from the distributor. I will post some photos and my reaction to the new rifle.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm
Sounds good Davey !!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:59 am
My dealer got my new Winchester '94 Sporter with the 24 inch barrel and curved butt plate in 30-30. Overall my reactions are, the rifle is very well made compared to other rifles I have seen on dealer shelves. And of course this one is in a box with my name on it. It surprised me that the Winchester box is NOT there. Just a plain white box with the new customary foam fitting, owner's manual, etc. Also the warranty tags, etc. I have never seen a Winchester new rifle without a box clearly marked Winchester with logos, etc. It came from a warehouse in Billings, Montana. The checkering is nice and a feature i did not expect is that the underside of the fore piece has a W for Winchester and it is also engraved in a small W in front of where the lever opens. The stock is very straight grain walnut with a satin oil finish. This is a finish I have not seen on another Winchester. The rifle is 7.5 pounds it comes to my shoulder pretty quickly and firmly. The sight picture in the Buckhorn vee and the gold front sight is much less than clearly defined under low lighting in the store and I am going to guess might be pretty hard to see in the field.

Return to Firearms Want To Buy/Trade