New guy from Indiana looking for some advice

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:56 pm
Hey guys! I started deer hunting this year and am looking to buy a good shotgun for next season (I've used my father-in-laws' so far, 870 and a Mossberg.) I was searching around and stumbled upon the sxp camp/field combo. I think I've found my gun but would like to hear some opinions of Winchester owners. I liked the combo because I want one for HD as well as hunting and would like to spare the expense of buying one for each. I'm not very knowledgeable with shotguns but I know I want something reliable that's going to last. One last thing is that I'd like to replace the sights with some fiber-optic, high vis sights if that's possible, I didn't see fixed sights in the sxp's description but I have seen multiple comments in regards to the lack of aftermarket add-ons. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 am
I can't help with your information quest but I would like to welcome you to the forum.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:09 pm
Welcome to Winchester Owners forum! We are glad to have you as part of our growing community. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the various sub-forums and make yourself at home. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Please enjoy your stay.

My brother (stags30) is a huge Winchester nut and owns a sxp and a sx3; I don't have anything negative to say about either besides that there really isn't a huge aftermarket following. I am a diehard Mossberg owner and if you like to modify your weapons then its the way to go. That being said the sxp or sx3 will work perferct for just about any hunting situation. As far as the sights go there are plenty of options for fiberoptics that you can install. I personally use Dead Ringer sights.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:20 pm
Thanks guys! I like the Mossberg's too but my LGS has an SXP combo with 18/28" barrels for $363.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 am
A friend of mine purchased one last year, it works great. The short barrel is a nice bonus if you want a bush gun for rabbit.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:10 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm
i have used the Mossburg 500 and Remington 870 in the past with great success...... BUT all of the grandkids now have the Rem 11-87 cantilever 20 gauge semi autos ... you will have a hard time finding a deer shotgun that will outshoot them and have almost zero kick at two hundred yards you can keep a 4 inch group shooting the Hornady SST bullets check the ballistics even at that range..... MOST IMPRESSIVE DEER RIFLE / shotgun the Mossburg and 870 are looking for a new home
the first step to getting old, is to live through the stupid stuff you did when you were young !!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Wecome to the forum
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Return to New Member Welcome Area