Hello from Colorado!

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:09 am
Hello everyone, first post here.... I found your site over on AfricanHunting and am glad I did! I have been a huge Winchester fan all my life and have owned numerous Winchesters. As of right now I am down to two Winchesters but they just might be my two favorite that I have ever owned. I have a M-70 Super Grade in .264 Win Mag made in 2000 and and M-70 Super Grade in .338 Win Mag.
The .338 is what I'm a little foggy with as to its history. I found it buried behind stacks of rifles in a pawn shop here in Colorado Springs. It is absolutely beautiful with a deep blueing and a fiddle backed walnut stock. It is a USRAC rifle that believe was made in the early 90's but I'm not sure? I tried once to figure out when it was made once online but it seems the manufacturer dates and info was a little sketchy during those times? At least that was what I was coming up with?
Anyway, if anyone is able to help identify my .338 Super Grade I would love the help!
Thanks and happy to have found you all!
Attachments
SuperGrade3.jpg
SuperGrade3.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
20g
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:04 am
Greetings and welcome CZ.

I'm a lever fellow. However, I appreciate Winchester bolts. Your SG is beautiful. Love the wood.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:32 am
Welcome to the forum! That's the way to make an introduction with a photo of a beautiful M70. That is some beautiful furniture on her.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:39 am
Welcome, and very nice!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:34 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:51 am
Thank you everybody! Much appreciated... Yes the 338 SG is really a special rifle. And it shoots just as nice as it looks!
That is why I am hoping that someone here can help me with it's history. The stock is of higher quality wood and of better figuring than my 264WM Super Grade but is not designed the same. It is cut just a little different, more like the standard sporter and it does not have the ebony forend, the shadow line cheek piece, or the inletted swivel studs. It also has the old school Winchester "Red" recoil pad where my 264 SG has a black Pachmayr.
One more thing about the rifle... It has a 24" barrel where Winchester typically uses a 26" barrel for its .338WM's
Just seems to me that this is one of USRAC older M-70 Super Grades or it is something the Custom Shop might have put together? The SER# is G18XXX
Any help as to where I might be able to go to identify it would be much appreciated! And thanks again for the welcome!

Return to New Member Welcome Area