a brand new me

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:25 pm
As per your request.

Kevin here from Stillwater, OK. Not affiliated with OK State Univ. other than I am a spouse of a faculty member.

I Joined the forum to learn about more about Winchester rifles.

Currently I have a Model 70 XTR .270 circa 1979 that was my Dad's. I Recently found out that my uncle will be giving me his his Model 88 in .308, a rifle I have long admired. I plan to use these for hunting.

I once owned a late model Model 70 Supergrade .300 Win Mag. A beautiful rifle and awesome calibre, however I could never get it to shoot less than a 2.0 in. group at 100 yards (and 2.5 was about average) despite a trigger job, bedding, and much hand loading. I never felt confident with it and eventually sold it.

I've been hunting for 40 years. I hunt with rifles mostly whitetail, but have been to NZ for tahr and dangerous game in Zimbabwe, and hunted pronghorn in NM. I've hunted whitetail in PA, IN, MI, KY, KS, TX, and OK.

For 35 years my main hunting rifle has been a Ruger M77 tang safety model in 30-06.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:33 am
That is absolutely awesome about obtaining your Uncle's Model 88! If you have never messed around with a Model 88 you will love it. I love mine and I always wanted one for many years, but of course I wanted many other models and like many other models that until I hit my 50's couldn't obtain them.

Funny you mentioned the Ruger Model 77 tang model. I own a 82 Model 77 of course with tang safety in 30.06 and to be honest it is the only bolt action I have ever owned! I love it and accurate as can be and have taken more whitetails than any other gun I have. Actually fixing to sell her and fund another Pre-64 Winchester of some sorts, and to be honest I am eyeballing another Pre-64 Model 88.

Post pics of your Winchesters in the appropriate sub forums when ya can...we All love pics of any Winchesters, pre/post 64!

Last but NOT least welcome to the forum!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:58 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Kevin !!

Enjoy our community...

Return to New Member Welcome Area