New guy from the bald Canadian prairies

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:49 am
Hey Guys

Figured I should check in. Just acquired the stainless steel coyote laminate version of the model 70 in the 300wsm. I've been hunting most of my life with an old inherited model 94 but it was stolen a couple of years ago so I replaced it with the closest thing I could find,a mossberg.
I only just got into moderate and longer range marksmanship. I have a couple of ex dimensions,a couple of savages,a Swiss k31,and now this beauty model 70
Started load development today. For all my other rifles I've managed to work up a load that will print an average of 1/2 Moa or better shooting 5 5 shot groups.
But I've gotta admit,sitting behind this cannon ladder testing gets old pretty quick. My 7mmRM doesn't recoil like this thing,but it doesn't hit quite as hard either.
We were popping milk jugs at varying ranges with a 243 and 308 and the 308 at 100 meters explodes those jugs pretty well,however that 300 at the same range with the same bullet was significantly more explosive and it was absolutely obvious that the jug was hit with something bigger.
So anyway I found the node and I also learned I need a better recoil pad for this old girl if I'm going lay behind it for more than a few rounds at a time.
It's definitely a handsome rifle. The dark brown looks good against the stainless steel barrel.
Anyways thanks for having me.
Anyone know what twist this barrel is. When I googled it I must have missed where it was listed. I assumed a 10 twist,not that it makes a big difference since I'm thinking the 178 eld's were a good match for this cartridge.
Thank you.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:19 am
Welcome to the forum! Great bunch of fellas here.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
20g
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:45 am
Hello Prairie, thanks for coming along. Never had the pleasure of a 70. All comments I have read are really top-tier.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:42 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:57 am
Red rider
So it's my first model 70. And though it's a canon I took it out again today for some fine tuning with the 168 grain a max and I've got it printing 3/4moa. I'm pretty sure it's got more in it,and the pilot was the problem.
So tomorrow I start with 178 grain amax. It's what I've settled on for 1000 and beyond,but 3/4 Moa won't be acceptable with that one.
The more I shoot this rifle the more I like it. I've got a couple savages and they shoot exceptionally well and I have a couple of Thompson venter dimensions that look a bit funny but are the most comfortable rifle I've ever shouldered,but this model 70 has something I just can't explain.
It's like riding a Harley. If I had to explain why I ride a Harley the person wouldn't get it
I absolutely understand why it's called the riflemans rifle.
And the trigger is exceptional. No creep. Breaks very cleanly.
The dimensions have great triggers too. No creep whatsoever. And my savages have the accutrigger so that goes without saying.
My shoulders a bit sore. Gotta seriously consider a different recoil pad. Cheaper than a brake.
20g
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:46 am
Excellent narrative toward your shooters.

I don't speak reloading. It's language to me that I like to read. There are several serious reloaders on this forum.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to New Member Welcome Area