New Member from the North Georgia Mountains

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am
I just recently became a Winchester owner and decided to join this form. I'm 68 years old and this is my first Winchester, a Model 52 Sporting bolt action 22 LR firearm. This morning I stopped off at the gun store where I purchased this gun a week ago, and I may become a Winchester owner again. The owner of the store was gone but will return this afternoon. His wife showed me a pristine Winchester 62a, 22 LR pump gun. I'll go back this afternoon to see if I can pick that little gem up.

I'm retired after 34 years employment with the government. I retired to a small community of 249 people and live way out in the secluded woods. I'm surrounded by national and state forests, as well as wilderness areas. It's nice and quiet out here. Lots of wild animals around, and most are fun to watch. Don't like being charged by a 400+ lb black bear like happened last winter. But most of the animals are more afraid of me than I am of them.

I live at 1,700 ft altitude on the side of Dickey Mountain. George and Hannah Dickey founded this area in 1840. Their families are all around this area. In 1931 the Tennessee Valley Authority decided to build a hydroelectric dam across the Toccoa River and called the reservoir Blue Ridge Lake. A grandson of George & Hannah Dickey was just a young boy as he watched all the construction, relocation of buildings and coffins from graveyards and cemeteries. The young boy, James grew up to become quite a scholar and author. He taught at a university and wrote several novels as well as poetry. One of his books was about this area and the situation with building the dam and relocating all the residents. He named the book "Deliverance." And of course it became a movie. I live on the mountain just above the river where all this took place. So when people ask me where I live, I just say, "I live in Deliverance." The area is nothing like the movie, though. Just friendly people and beautiful forests. A nice quiet, safe place to live. But don't mess with the moonshiners!

Rod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:32 pm
Nice introduction. Welcome from a fellow N. Georgian. I'm about 50 miles north of Atlanta in the foothills but my family of a generation ago is from your area. I frequent the area every chance I get. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful place on earth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:41 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 pm
N4Rod welcome to the forum! Sounds like the addiction has already bitten ya haha. I have a 62A as well and they are fantastic guns. Don't have a Model 52 but they are very nice.

My first duty station in early 80s was at Ft. Stewart, GA. Spent some time in North GA trout fishing around Tallulah Falls.

Post pics when ya cannon the appropriate sub forum.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to New Member Welcome Area