Hi new member from NC/TN border area

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 am
Hi, I'm new here. Glad too meet you guys. I'm a retired Army MTU shooter. I currently have 3 Winchester rifles & am looking at buying a 4th.
1. A model 94 Wrangler in 32 special
2. A issue Model 1917 30-06
3. A post 64 model 70 featherweight 7X57

I am currently mulling over buying a F-Class competition rifle in 6.5/284. It's built on a old Winchester receiver. I'm not sure if it's a pre-war Model 70 or a model 54. It has the Mauser type extracter 35,XXX serial #. Palma type 31" stainless barrel, a really nice competition stock with adjustable comb & LOP. The dealer that has it knows nothing about it. Kinda hoping someone on here could enlighten me on the difference between a 54 & 70 receiver. It's priced @ 1,000$.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:11 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Thank You for your service to our Great Country...

Enjoy our community.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:31 pm
Ahh no need too thank me, I enjoyed being a soldier. I just hate I got too old, fat & broke down too be a soldier anymore. I'm trying too learn how too be a civilian. No more free bullets suck :lol: .
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 pm
The Winchester Model 54 was manufactured between 1925 and 1930 with 50,145 units built with
variants such as Standard Grade, Carbine, Super Grade, and Target.

The Winchester Model 70 can be categorized into three production runs:

Pre '64: 1936–1963

Post '64: 1964–2006 (Push Feed/Classic)

Current: 2008–present

========================

Since you have the serial # on the receiver:

Here are proven sites that can be used to help date firearms by serial number:

http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-resea ... -book.aspx

and...

http://www.proofhouse.com/

=========================

Here is some light reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_54

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_70

==========================

Let us know what you discover...

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Yea, but what I don't have is the model #. My understanding is the receivers are pretty simular. And I think the 54 & the 70 both had #s in the 35,000 range. I'm pretty sure it's preWW2. Oh thanks. I'll read up.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm
Yea...copy that.

Did the best I could without the experts here present...

It would be good if you could include a clear / bright picture of both sides of the receiver...for them aforementioned experts.

So...to be clear...that gun is a Frankenstein...and the receiver model ID is the question.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:27 pm
Yea, from a collector's POV it'd be a Frankenstein, from a target shooter's POV though it'd be a finely crafted piece of custom machinery. I'm both so I can appreciate both POVs. And yea the receiver is what I'm trying to ID. Thanks.

PS I'm a collector, but not really a Winchester collector, though I once had a rifle a Winchester collector would have drooled over. I was issued a bull barrel target pre-64 model 70 once. My understanding was the Army bought 200 of them back in the 50s from a retired Marine General named Van Orden. It was originally a 30-06. Army MTU re-chambered it too 30-338 & mounted a 14X Unertyl scope on it. I shot a lot of matches with that rifle & carried it all over the world for other purposes also. I cried when I had too turn it in. It's the only thing I have ever considered stealing in my life, but I didn't, it went to the crusher at Anniston Army depot. I collect WW2 & cold war service pistols.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am
Copy that...I would have cried too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the rest of your collection...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:59 pm
First and foremost welcome to the forum! Thank you for your service as Well!

You assessment or POV is well taken from a collector's side of the fence or even a shooters side in as far as a Frankenstein goes.

Also could understand fully having to turn in such a fine weapon for a crusher to have the final call so to speak. Sad you would think that there would be avenues to allow someone to assume possession through a government sale. Especially regarding semi automatics or bolt fed weaponry but in this political environment who knows.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 am
I doubt it's changed any in the Army, but that was back in the Clinton years. They were forced too feed any obsolete weapons into the crusher. :cry:

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 pm
Welcome M9, is the safety on that rifle 2 position or 3 position? I think the 70 was the first with a 3 position safety, of course with the work done on that rifle anything is possible. I've also read that people have installed 70 bolts in 54s. The trigger may also help 54s had a 2 stage trigger, if that hadn't been altered. Good luck in your quest, p;ease let us know what you find.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:39 am
It's a 3 position safety. Just paddle shaped instead of L shaped. Its obvious the 03 Springfield, the 54 & the 70 all derive from the Mauser. I don't think the safety has been altered, on a target rifle it's considered an unnecessary appendage. The trigger has been replaced with an aftermarket stainless unit, you breathe on that sucker & it fires :o . Might try adjusting it afterwhile if it's not glued into the stock. I like about 2 or 3 lbs & can live with 4 or 5 lbs. This thing is 2 or 3 ounces. I'm actually quite happy with the stock model 70 trigger, even on a target rifle. But I come from a High Power service rifle shooter background not a benchrest shooter background. If you cut you're teeth on a M14 trigger a stock Model 70 trigger is a dream come true. :mrgreen:
Last edited by M9Powell on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 am
I got out of active duty after 10 years myself in 93 as I could no longer tolerate the Clintonistas! I look back now and realize I should have stayed but hindsight is 20/20 as they say. So I fully understand about the Clinton era and what they were doing then.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:07 am
Ohh man you were over the hump. Should've finished in the reserves or Natl Guard. Yea, hope we never see those days again.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am
M9Powell wrote:Ohh man you were over the hump. Should've finished in the reserves or Natl Guard. Yea, hope we never see those days again.

I initially went to a reserve Infantry unit, then moved went into a NG trans unit. The NG unit had no discipline and was just all I could handle. Being a grunt for 10 years and the respect and discipline to absolutely none...i went inactive status and did my time.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:37 am
Yea, it's a lot different in the Guard. But not so bad when you get used to it. One advantage the Guard has is they tend to keep the same people for years and they all get familiar. Despite what it looks like to someone coming in fresh from the regular Army they can be quite competent despite appearances. Served for 28 years, decades in both. That's where the old farts with the most experience end up.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:08 am
Oh I am not disagreeing with you on the Guard! There were good people and yes like a family. But as I say lack of discipline, leadership as I was accustomed too. Like I say hindsight is 20/20 and many things I would have done differently as well.

On another note. Was in a unit on active duty, 3rd US Infantry The Old Guard at Ft Myers, VS, and until around 1990 we carried in the field, ceremonies, and qualified with the M-14. We did not get M-16s until around 1990 and then they installed A2 hand guards on them to give the appearance of A2s...politics. of course M16s were then field weapon and M-14 became ceremonial only weapon. Triggers were a lot to be desired as you say however you did get used to it and to this day my favorite weapon I carried in and out of the field.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to New Member Welcome Area