New member from Arizona

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:09 pm
I recently received a Winchester 1890 (third generation) from my father in law. It was being tossed out and he grabbed it. It is in rough shape with a broken stock that was screwed back together and the tangs are bent. The outside is rusty and pitted, but the action works and it is surprisingly clean inside.

Because the stock is split and the tangs are bent about 5-10 degrees to the left, I believe that the receiver took a hard push while the end of the barrel and the butt of the stock were stationary. I assume that the tangs are supposed to be straight. Can someone please verify that the tangs should be in line with the receiver and barrel?

I have started removing the surface rust with bronze wool which reveals some pitting. I will be watching this forum for restoration tips.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.89 KiB) Viewed 6909 times
20g
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:11 pm
Hello Nub 64,

Welcome to the site. My SWAG to the split stock and bent tangs. When ammo is all gone, the weapon becomes a blunt instrument. As you know, during the early years guns were tools. Also possible rifle was run over by something heavy.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:58 am
Good point. Being run over may be required to bend the tangs. Thanks.

Return to New Member Welcome Area