Greetings from Pearland, Texas (Houston area)

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 am
Just my introduction to the group. I registered a short while back but this is my first post. I started doing some research into a few of my grandfather's Winchesters for which I have been caretaker for the last few years since he passed away, and that eventually led me to this forum.

Winchester rifles in my possession include:

Model 94 30-30 (1940)
Model of 1917 30-06, sporterized (1918)
Model 62 Pump Action 22 (1932, one of the first 5000 made)
Model 04A 22 (1928, I believe)

Back in the early 1950s, my grandfather had a 4x Banner by Bushnell scope installed on the Model 94 using a Williams side-mount. He probably did that not long after those particular scopes were starting to be marketed. I'm thinking that the side mount was about the best they could do for a top-eject 94 back then (although I could be wrong), but I'm looking at taking the nearly 70-year-old 4x scope off and installing a scout scope mounted forward to not interfere with the top eject. It's still a plenty usable rifle and I'd like to do more shooting with it. I'm working with a Pearson's No-Drill Tactical Rail mount that I can install on this rifle without any drilling or modification of the rifle other than removing the rear sight.

OK, I'm guessing that's probably enough of an intro for the moment. I'd like to post more about both the Model 94 and the Model 1917 30-06 in the appropriate discussion areas later.

Thanks for allowing the intro. :)

Al
20g
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 pm
Belated welcome!

Always a smile reading where early guns are passed on to younger folk that appreciate them.

Enjoy those heritages and pass them on.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 am
redryder wrote:Belated welcome!

Always a smile reading where early guns are passed on to younger folk that appreciate them.

Enjoy those heritages and pass them on.

Thank you, redryder. I appreciate the welcome!

Fortunately for me, my grandfather lived to be in his mid-90s, so these firearms didn't come to me until I was almost 50 years old. He's been gone 12 years now, and I'd give them all back in a heartbeat to have him here to go fishing with again...or to reminisce about old times. I wish I had asked more questions about all the guns when I was younger, but it's just not something I thought much about back then.

I've got one older Colt...an 1851 Colt Navy...that has been passed down from my great-great-grandfather all the way to me. My daughter will be the sixth generation in the family to have it, but hopefully that will be a while yet. Being 60 years old now, I hope to hold on to these for a little longer...maybe a lot longer. ;)

Even the Winchesters I have are getting on up there, with the youngest (the Model 94) being 78 years old this year. Even though all were in good condition, they had been neglected for a while in my grandfather's later years and all needed a bit of cleaning and oiling here and there. It's been fun familiarizing myself with them all and doing my best to get them as close as I can to top shape again.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Howdy, sorry I'm late to the party! but welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions.
ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 pm
ripjack13 wrote:Howdy, sorry I'm late to the party! but welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you, ripjack13. I appreciate the welcome.

Return to New Member Welcome Area