New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm
Greetings everyone. I was told about this forum from a good friend who happens to be a member. It's great to see a forum that covers all Winchesters past and present. As per my screen name you probably guessed that I'm into Model 12s, well I also love my model 50 20 gauge and my model 37 16 gauge. I also have a pristine early Super X1 field gun that is pretty much a safe queen as are a few of my Model 12s. I've used a model 12 all my life and got into collecting about 8 years ago.

Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm
Welcome Winchester 1912. Glad you joined this forum. It is a little slow since it just started up a while ago. Lots of nice members here, no blowhards like some of the forums.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 am
Welcome to Winchester Owners glad to see you here :)
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 am
Welcome to Winchester Owners forum! We are glad to have you as part of our growing community. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the various sub-forums and make yourself at home. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Please enjoy your stay.

BTW it sounds like you have quite the collection of Winchester firearms! I have not had the pleasure of shooting a Winchester model 12 but hopefully I will in the near future. Do you have any pictures of your firearms?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 am
Thanks everyone. I have a modest collection of 7 Model 12s, 1 Model 50, 1 SuperX1, and 1 Model 37. I'm going to make it a point to learn how to post pictures as I have never done this before. If you've never handled a Model 12, let me just tell you, there is no better handling and well built repeating shotgun, especially the 20 and 16 gauges. The great thing is that there are many in great condition out there on the market. If I can be of any assistance to anyone buying their first Model 12, then I'd be glad to help. Just in the last few days, I advised a young guy on buying his first one. He's 21 years old and wants to collect Winchesters. Isn't that great?

Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:24 am
It sure is. Too often I hear from the older collectors that younger people aren't interested in this stuff any more. I think that the ones that have an older Winchester that's been in the family have a genuine interest. The ones that don't maybe not so much. That's what I like about this forum. It is about the only one that I know of that handles ANYTHING Winchester. That way people can read about old and new.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 pm
P.Muerrle wrote:It sure is. Too often I hear from the older collectors that younger people aren't interested in this stuff any more. I think that the ones that have an older Winchester that's been in the family have a genuine interest. The ones that don't maybe not so much. That's what I like about this forum. It is about the only one that I know of that handles ANYTHING Winchester. That way people can read about old and new.

This is one of the very goals of this site is to bring the older and younger generations together to enjoy both old and new Winchesters alike! For me being able to pass down the history of Winchester firearms is very important to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:50 pm
DHonovich wrote:
P.Muerrle wrote:It sure is. Too often I hear from the older collectors that younger people aren't interested in this stuff any more. I think that the ones that have an older Winchester that's been in the family have a genuine interest. The ones that don't maybe not so much. That's what I like about this forum. It is about the only one that I know of that handles ANYTHING Winchester. That way people can read about old and new.

This is one of the very goals of this site is to bring the older and younger generations together to enjoy both old and new Winchesters alike! For me being able to pass down the history of Winchester firearms is very important to me.

I agree. What better purpose could a forum have? If I can get 1 out of 100 young people to understand just how important Winchester has been to the identity of this country, and also what the word "quality" means and the heritage that carried it through the years, I'd feel like I was accomplishing something good in a world that seems to get worse all the time.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:51 pm
Winchester 1912 wrote:
DHonovich wrote:

I agree. What better purpose could a forum have? If I can get 1 out of 100 young people to understand just how important Winchester has been to the identity of this country, and also what the word "quality" means and the heritage that carried it through the years, I'd feel like I was accomplishing something good in a world that seems to get worse all the time.

Welcome Winchester 1912, thank you for choosing our community. I myself am a young Winchester Arms collector. For me, to have WinchesterOwners forum is priceless, the sole fact that I am able to pick the brains of members like you.

It is amazing how little people no about Winchester, or guns in general these days. 90% of my friends have never even shot a weapon before, the ones that have was solely because of me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:16 pm
Thankyou stags30. Let me ask you this. As a young collector, what are your favorite Winchester firearms? I ask this because I don't have much familiararity with most of the modern guns. I was just talking to my son about an all purpose shotgun, (one that will handle steel shot or lead). We both would opt for the new Super X3 in 20 gauge. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:30 pm
The Super X3 is on my list of guns to get. About two months ago i picked up the SXP defender, which i love. Its sorta like there modern day model 1300. But if I had to choose a shotgun I would definitely have to go with the Super X3. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:03 pm
Same here. Light and dependable. Also, with the new finishes, there virtuously waterproof. On a recent dove shoot, during a tropical storm mind you, my son used my custom Model 12 20 gauge and I had my Model 50 20 gauge, it was killing me to see them getting wet and that's when I started thinking about a Super X3 as a rainy weather shotgun. Have you ever thought of obtaining a pre-64 Winchester shotgun?
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 pm
Yes i have thought about it a lot actually, just not sure which one to purchase. Any thoughts on what a good starter pre-64 shotgun?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:46 pm
That's easy. The Winchester Model 12. Readily available and still the finest repeating shot gun ever made. There are things to consider however, such as, what purpose will the gun serve, whether or not "completely factory original" is important to you, what gauge, barrel length, choke etc. you desire. If I can be of any help to you on that, just say the word. There are others to consider as well, but the Model 12 is by far the most popular amongst collector/shooters.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:57 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Winchester 1912 !!

Looking forward to pictures of all your firearms... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Winchester 1912 !!

Looking forward to pictures of all your firearms... ;)

Thankyou Shooter 13. I was working on learning the tricks of that yesterday when my camera malfunctioned. But rest assured, I'm going to get that up ASAP! Thanks again.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm
If you don't mind me asking, how many Winchesters do you own?

When I get more serious in getting a Pre-64 Winchester, I am definitely going to have to pick your brain some more?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:45 pm
I currently have 10 Winchester shotguns. Of the 7 Model 12s I have, 2 are 12 gauges (both are family guns), 2 are 16 gauges (1 is a family gun) 3 are 20 gauges (1 is a Simmons upgrade with Fagen fancy wood and vent rib). I also have a Model 50 semi auto in 20 gauge with 3 differently choked barrels, 1 Super X1, and 1 Model 37 single shot 16 gauge. Of my 10 Winchesters, all are pre-64 except the Super X1 which was manufactred around 1974.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:48 pm
Very impressive collection, I can't wait to see some picture. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm
Thankyou. :)

Return to New Member Welcome Area