Hello from CT

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:27 am
Just inherited 2 Winchester Long guns and trying to get some background info on them. Found this site so here I am.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Passages !!

Which Winchester long guns do you own...!?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:21 am
Was given a Model 1890 .22 slide action and a Model 12, 12 guage. Looked up the serial numbers and found the shotgun is from 1921 ans the 22 is from 1898. I tried to shoot the 22 but looks like 22LR will not cycle - it needs 22L. Where the heck do you find that?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:45 am
So what is the best way to research values? I want to sell the Model 12 because I already have all the 12 guages I need.

Also, what is the best way to sell a shotgun? Going to a gun dealer is quick and easy by they will only offer 50% of what it's worth. Never sold anything on Gunbroker, Craigslist and eBay don't allow gun sales.

Regarding value, Cabellas has one for $560 but mine is in better shape. Gunbroker has them listed for between $350 and $3000. I guess it's worth whatever someone will pay for it but that doesn't help set an asking price.

Figured this site might point me in the right direction.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 pm
Value is subjective...I could tell you what it's worth from a book I own, but that doesn't mean the buyer standing in front of you, or the shop owner who needs to buy and sell for a profit, will be willing to pay that amount.

If you want a starting price...

The Model 1890 was made from 1890 to 1932 and came in three different Models and two Grades: Standard and Deluxe...and if correctly dated to 1898 is considered a Third Model ( Standard ?) and is worth $900 in Good condition and $450 for Fair.

The Model 12 was made in different grades: Standard, Featherweight, Riot Gun, Trench Gun, Skeet Grade, Trap Grade, Pigeon Grade, and Heavy Duck Gun...and barrel lengths. Prices vary greatly depending on how rare that grade was ( amount made ) in it's 51 year history.

As far as Gunbroker, Guns America, Craigslist and Ebay...never used them.

While .22 long rifle and .22 magnum are the norm, most small gun shops in my area also carry .22 long and .22 short.

A quick search of the internet provided this site...

http://ammo-sale.com/products.asp?cat=9497

If you appreciate the amount of info and time I put into this answer, please click on the PLUS (+) sign under my name to show your gratitude. Thank you !

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 pm
Wow, thanks (+) given.

I'm going to hang on to the 1890 just because it's a cool .22. I'd put the condition at fair because the nickel receiver has some stains and the blued barrel & trigger has some rust and pitting. The bore is bright & shiny though and the action is smooth & solid.

The M12, is a 1921 mfg, possibly deluxe field grade. It has a 30" barrel, full choke. It has the English fancy walnut stock & checkered forepiece. The blueing is in pretty good shape but is worn in a few spots. Action on this one is solid with a bright & shiny bore.

If GunBroker,Guns America, eBay & Craigslist are not good venues to sell, what is?
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 pm
Welcome to Winchester Owners forum! We are glad to have you as part of our growing community. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the various sub-forums and make yourself at home. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Please enjoy your stay.

SHOOTER13 thanks for taking care of his questions!

Return to New Member Welcome Area