Winchester Model 70 Classic DBM-S 30-06????

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 pm
Working on a new project. Found a good to not quite so good condition 70 Classic. I've been looking for a deal on a Classic Action ever since my Dad traded a nice Featherweight 70 Classic in .280 Rem away to get back his prized Model 88 .308 he had used on so many Deer that just fit him better I guess. I also have a strange fondness for picking up projects that need some help. For me that's half the fun, tearing it down researching it...improving it to suit my needs and taste.

So this particular project caught my eye due to a group of features I wasn't familiar with.
- First I was in the habit of walking through gun racks feeling around receiver of model 70's looking for the CRF extractor...bingo
-Second it was a 30-06, of which I have several other rifles and loading equipment already on hand...tried and true
- Third it had a detachable magazine....which before this I didn't even know old "red W " even offered. I even had to ask the FFL if it was an aftermarket kit or something.
- Fourth it was a bit of an eye sore....so I thought I could get a deal. Someone painted the synthetic stock several times....currently OD green....almost.
- Last it seemed to be a handy size and shape. It's not featherweight but I prefer some extra weight and stiffness for longer range sessions. The Bluing is still pretty good other than just slight muzzle wear from what I can tell. Bore is clean and sharp, Slightly jeweled bolt appears it was done at factory.

I brought it home stripped it to components and inspected. Started researching and discovered it was indeed a factory offering 70 Classic DBM-S. Sporter style synthetic stock, Blued action with about a 22 inch Sporter profile barrel, and the action I was looking for as a Classic CRF. But apparently it was made only in 1994/1995. No idea what the numbers are but it must not have been a seller. I got a magazine with it and it is marked DC which appears correct. However the followers were updated to work with the CRF and this magazine has a flat follower like the non CRF version sold a few years before USRAC released the Classic actions again. So don't know what to make of that. Low serial number maybe it shipped before changes???

The stock.... Had checkering barely visible through layer upon layer of spray paint. My first thought was no biggy I would rather have wood any ways. But it appears to be severely relieved for the DBM floorplate. I compared with standard LA stock and it will take some work....or just swap a hinged floorplate... I can't imagine the company would machine the actions much different between similar models so I assume with right parts this should work.

Any thoughts???? Has anyone had opportunity to try such a swap? I will get some pictures posted of progress as I go.

I'm working on getting paint off synthetic stock first.... I will tell you after a few failed attempts using other methods.... CitriStrip aerosol can from Walmart did the trick without touching resin below. Stood it in a 5 gallon bucket..... Spray it....wait 15 minutes and a tooth brush wiped most of it off. I need another round but things are looking up. I also picked up an older set of Leupold mounts and rings on the cheap that match the bluing exactly. Undecided on a scope as of yet.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 pm
Testing an image upload. Any feedback welcome. Did inserting as url work?

https://i.imgur.com/bwD8l38.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7q9nLpE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QqaNbHS.jpg

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 pm
Attempt #2.....edit time for a post is very short.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 pm
After a couple applications of CitriStrip. Still some paint here and there but I'll take rest off before final prep and repaint. And now....what to paint it??? You can also see the factory machine work to inlet stock for DBM bottom metal.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 pm
Assembled action, Winchester Model 70 "Classic DBM-S" 30-06. Also note the used Leupold mounts picked up cheap that match bluing well I think. Still some paint and sticker residue showing, I haven't totally deep cleaned everything just yet.
Bottom metal with mag inserted to show position of feed lips. You may notice most of blue is gone off bottom of mag, I might just tape off and paint it to match bottom metal.
My magazine marked DC for controlled round feed 30-06 size cartridges.
Mine for example again....see flat follower?
Here is newer magazine design. Follower has fingers to center round??? No idea what issue was that prompted change.
Bottom of my action. I see no reason an internal box won't swap in to use a nice wood stock with hinged floorplate down the road. And some blue worn off bolt knob from use.
A test fit of components into stock after paint taken mostly off using CitriStrip. Also fit a Limbsaver pad model #10807. Fits the synthetic stock like glove. Light stock + hot handloads + shoulder= me learning I like Limbsavers... Have them on a few of my rifles and worth ever penny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm
The first time you hunt in November on a cold high mountain hunt and try to load that original mag you'll understand why they changed the design. If you use that mag, wrap your hand around it or you'll have more ammo on the ground than in the mag.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:00 am
sschefer wrote:The first time you hunt in November on a cold high mountain hunt and try to load that original mag you'll understand why they changed the design. If you use that mag, wrap your hand around it or you'll have more ammo on the ground than in the mag.

Do you mean it's a feeding issue? ..or loading individual rounds into mag issue?.... They all pop out top of mag or what should i expect? Thanks for input!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am
Yes, when you can't feel them set down they pop back out. We used to load them up and let them sit for a month and that helped a little. It's kind of like loading a 30-30, you learn to hold your hand over them to keep them buggers from escaping.

Return to Winchester Model 70