94 pushing rounds too high.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 pm
Hi All

I was given a Model 94 from my father in law. I think from the serial it's about a 1993. It had been in a police armory for 6 months and I thought I better cycle some rounds through it to check the mechanism.

Some of the rounds loaded from the mag into the chamber fine, several however either popped up high enough that they slide over the chamber and then jam vertically or crashed half way up the chamber and pushed the projectile back into the case.

The ammo were handloads done by someone unknown to me. Caliber is .307

Any ideas if this is an ammo or weapon malfunction. The empty cases seem to pop up quite high without any projectile. I've created a very short video showing the issue, you'll need to pause near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvxmTqu ... e=youtu.be
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

I'm going to say ammo, as you put it below...

"The ammo were handloads done by someone unknown to me"

Buy some quality factory ammo, like Winchester, Remington, Federal...and see if that solves the problem.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:32 am
Thanks. I'm trying to find somewhere here (New Zealand) that sells factory .307 ammo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 pm
I've been reloading for the .307 for quite a few years now. With the price of factory ammunition at $55-$60 per box in my area, reloading is a cost effective way for me to have high quality accurate ammunition. The .307 is nearly obselete, so you may have a hard time finding factory ammunition when you want it. If you can measure these rounds you have using a caliper, the maximum overall length should be no more than 2.530" (for Flat point bullets) measured from the base of the cartridge to the bullet tip. I load both Hornady FTX and Flat point bullets for this caliber to use in my .307 Model 94AE. If you aren't sure where your ammunition came from, then I'd avoid using it. Using ammunition that has been loaded improperly could cause harm to you or your rifle. Remember that its not safe to use pointed bullets (except FTX or LeverEvolution) in a tubular magazine.

Return to Winchester Model 1894/94