Best Rear Sight for a pre-'64 model 94?

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm
Having just bought a "cosmetically challenged," 1959-vintage, 30-30 caliber Model 94, I have a question.

After refurbishing the furniture (having previously re-done a couple of rifle stocks that came out pretty nice), I hope eventually to use this rifle for hunting down my first Whitetail Deer here in Western Pennsylvania.

What would you recommend that I consider for a vintage-appropriate upgrade to the original open rear sight?

Please don't suggest a scope. I dislike side-mounts, and want to be more faithful to my rifle's age and origins!

The choice, it seems to me, is between a receiver-mounted peep (probably either a Redfield or Lyman could have been added back in '59; I don't think Williams were in play back then) or perhaps a tang-mounted peep sight.

So...what would you suggest (for an older, yet inexperienced hunter)?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 am
A period correct receiver sight for your rifle would be a Lyman 56A. The sight mounts to the left side of your receiver using the factory tapped (very small) holes nearest the hammer. The bad news...be prepared to pay $200+ for a good one on ebay. The other cheaper choice is a newer model lyman or redfield, however they aren't nearly as nice looking and are aluminum rather than steel like the originals.
The tang mounted Lyman would also work, but it isn't period correct, and, be prepared to spend $$$ for a good one. You will probably have to drill & tap at least one hole (in most cases) to mount a tang sight on a 1950's vintage rifle. Pre 1952 models aren't even factory tapped for receiver sights. I've been drooling over the Lyman 56A for ages....just can't bring myself to lay down the cash for one. I have a 1956 vintage model 64 .30-30 thats just screaming for one !
Attachments
64.jpg
64.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 23443 times

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 pm
Skinner-t,
Great looking rifle...more worthy of the Lyman 56A than mine is ever likely to be!
Guess I'll see first whether my abilities at shooting paper with the open sights are
good enough to make hunting with them a realistic pursuit. Meanwhile I'll keep an
eye out for a period-correct improvement that might be affordable.
Many thanks for your obviously well-iinformed and thoroughly thought-through views.
Bill
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 pm
I'm sure the open sights on your 94' will do the job for you.......well that is until you get bitten by that darned Lyman bug ! Factory winchester sights have always got the job done for me in the past, although I'd change them in a minute if I got a chance to buy a "reasonably" priced 56A.... Good luck with your search.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:59 pm
skinner-t,

A visit to a local old-guard arms store with drawerfuls of old 'stuff' in their back room led to my seeing several peep sights suitable for mounting on a flat-receiver (as on lever action rifles)...but nothing that matched-up with the screw spacing on a Model 94.

I did find an outfit in Alabama whose website indicates they have a couple of older, steel Lyman model 66A. (OK, not 56A...but is a 66A in steel that much less desirable? Admittedly, I haven't seen comparison photos.)
Calling the AL store, a generally uninformed salesperson found two 66A in aluminum, but none in steel.

Hope springs eternal: The AL salesperson found paired 66A/67A references on his store computer, supposedly in steel. I explained how the two models would differ in appearance. He promised to look at all the stock on hand and call if he found a steel one for mounting on a flat receiver. Meanwhile, I asked the old-guard local store to look for either a 56A, or 66A in steel.

Stay tuned!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:05 pm
Here's the 66a
Attachments
66a.jpg
66a.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 23435 times
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:06 pm
Here's the 56a
Attachments
56a.jpg
56a.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 23435 times
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:10 pm
Although they will both do the job, I know which one looks like it belongs on those older 94's... My preference will always be the 56a to keep it "period correct". If you just want a shooter, you can always try the 66a .... see how it works for you, they aren't hard to sell if you find a 56a later.. Good luck !

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:46 pm
skinner-t,
You're going to think I've lost my Marples,
but I picked-up an old Williams, fresh off a
'94. I ran after a lot of Lymans, but all of
them (even supposedly very old examples)
were made of aluminum.
My reasoning was that since Williams has
been making theirs out of aluminum for a
long time - since 1922 - they're the one to
go with in aluminum (especially given that
newer, aluminum Lymans earn mixed user
reviews). It also helped that the Williams FP
was recently removed from a 94. All aside, I
would go with a steel Lyman if one surfaces
for anything like a reasonable price (there's
an old, ALUMINUM one at $125 on E-bay!).
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm
Nice find !! I think you probably made a good choice, theres nothing wrong with a vintage williams or redfield either. It should work out out for you just fine. Any pictures of the new install yet? I'd like to see it.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:43 pm
Thanks for your encouragement! Eventually, I'll get pictures up...but there's no way I'll go public until after my cosmetically challenged 94 is refinished to the best of my ability ~ lest I risk being laughed off this site!

BTW, I've posted an inquiry about refinishing Win. 94 receiver (cause I've seen several indications that they can't be re-blued), and asking about cold bluing favorites.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm
I've done a few with cold blue, they were already really bad and were worn to bare metal to start in most places. They are a little more difficult than some rifles, but if you take your time you can do a nice job.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 am
Hi fansnotes, I've finally found a good one....I bought an old model 1894 rifle last night with a crescent butt plate stock, serial dates it 1897, It was re-barreled at some point with a .32 win spl from a carbine, the barrel is much newer, maybe mid 1950's. Collectable value is gone since its all mismatched and a bit rough. It needs a re-blue, stocks redone etc. but it seems pretty tight in the action, so it should make a good shooter. Lucky for me someone drilled and tapped the receiver some time ago to install a really nice Lyman 56. The 1894 looks a bit ugly now with those 2 holes just sitting there empty, but I will find some screws to fill the tapped holes and will get to refinishing it someday. The rifle was really purchased as a sight donor because I just couldn't pass it up for $200, the sight and aperture alone seemed like they would be worth more than that. The Lyman has found its home on my 64. All of the micrometer adjustment knobs work as new and still have a nice click' click' when turned, It also has a Merit aperture that is fully adjustable, its probably a $50 option. It sure looks like it belongs there on my old model 64 .30-30. I removed the rear sight and filled it with a 3/8" dovetail blank that I made on the milling machine at work. Blank installation takes a bit of filing and fitting, but it gives a nice finished look to the barrel after the sight is removed.
Attachments
Lyman56-1.jpg
Lyman56-1.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 18839 times
Lyman56-2.jpg
Lyman56-2.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 18839 times
sight blank.jpg
sight blank.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 18839 times

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 pm
Wow! That's gorgeous, and as I see it you got the rifle thrown in with the sight you've been searching for!

I'm working on my 94's wood, using John Kay's Winchester Stock Oil. Following his extensive instructions to the letter. Now getting close to the last of oil-sanded coats (three w/ 320, and three w/ 400), at which point the hand-rubbed coats begin. This was far and away the worst condition wood I've dealt with but, thanks to Winchester's choice Walnut, it's developed that deep red-brown the good oldies have.
Coincidentally, I bought a steel Lyman 66 today. I wouldn't usually have done so after buying a really nice old Williams, BUT...I fired the 94, and fell in love! Sitting, w/o a rest, put my first shot high; the front bead was on the bull. Then set the bull right on top of the bead. OK, so I'm only 25 yards out, but this was my second shot ever w/ a 30-30, and it nailed the sight-in target's cross-hairs! Moved over to 100 yards and hit high again, because I aimed there! If I live long enough, I'll get another 94 and put both those sights to good use.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:54 pm
Great to hear you are enjoying it. I know the how you feel about getting another, I have 3 chambered in .32 spl and 1 in .30-30 , and the model 64 in .30-30 thats in the pictures.
I will always keep buying more when the deal is right, I can't help myself !
These rifles will always be just as good as money in the bank, but way more fun to save than money.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:02 pm
Here's a couple of pics of the "donor 1894", I stuck a rear sight on it from my junk box for now, but I've got a lyman 66 from ebay coming in a couple of weeks (only paid $30). It should nicely fill those ugly holes in the receiver..
Attachments
1894-3.jpg
1894-3.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 18817 times
1894-1.jpg
1894-1.jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 18817 times

Return to Winchester Model 1894/94