Model 94 misfires

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:46 am
I have a 1983 Model 94 angle eject 30-30 that I bought used. When firing factory ammo -- Winchester, Fusion and Remington -- I have a misfire of one or two rounds in every box. The primers on the misfire rounds show a dent from the firing pin that appears to be every bit as deep as the dent on rounds that fired successfully. This suggests that the hammer is hitting hard enough to fire most rounds, but not enough to overcome the occasional harder primer. This happens not only with factory ammo, but also with my handloaded cartridges using CCI and Winchester primers.

Here is everything I have done so far to try to correct this:

1) Disassemble, clean and lightly lube all internal parts.

2) Replace firing pin (though the original firing pin appears undamaged and unworn)

3) Replace hammer spring with stronger spring

4) Replace hammer-spring guide rod

5) Shorten lower prongs on hammer-spring guide rod in attempt to reduce the amount of hammer recoil (this made things worse, so restored the original hammer-spring guide rod.)

None of these efforts fixed the problem. I still get misfires. My work-around is to handload my 30-30 cartridges using Federal primers. So far, the gun has functioned fine with handloads using Federal primers, which are reportedly softer than other brands.

But I'd prefer to fix the rifle so that it will fire all ammo reliably.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Return to Winchester Model 1894/94