1978 Winchester 9422 XTR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:11 pm
uy's/Gal's

I was on a YouTube a couple weeks ago and Nutnfancy was rating lever guns. He rated the Winchester 9422 number 1, Henry number 2, BL-22 Browning Number 3 and the Marlin 39A last.

I brought this question up on a forum and everyone rated the Winchester 9422 #1 the Marlin 39A #2, Browning BL-22 #3 and the Henry #4.

This got me wanting the two of the group I did not have. I bought a 1955 Marlin Mountie due in this Tuesday (7-24-2018) to the LGS. Can't wait.

I then found a 1978 Winchester 9422 XTR in 98% condition on GunsAmerica. The FFL holder is on vacation till 7-31-2018 so I will receive it the first week of August.

Here is some pictures of the rifle that I bought.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 am
Ok guy's/gal's

Received my 9422 yesterday at the LGS (8-2-2018), she definitely is a beauty. I will probably catch fury of you guy's for this but the first thing I did this morning with her was take the length of pull from 13.5" to 12". I am only 5'5" tall so the 13.5 length of pull with my bad should just stretched me out a little to far. I have 6 lever action 22's they all have a 12" length of pull now. This rifle feels a lot better and I will post pictures of her as soon as I get some polyurethane to touch up the stock where I had to sand the butt plate and stock even. Sling swivels will be in today also to finish her up. Already have the lever wrapped with sewing string for leather work (that string is wax impregnated) like I also do to all my levers. She will be awesome when finished.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am
The 9422 is a great rifle. Thinned the herd last year. My 9422 was in the movement. Was an early model without checkering..

No matter how we modify our guns, someone will be a critic, including me. Do what pleases you knowing that the selling price might be affected.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm
Well have the stock done, could not get the finish to match but everything is comfortable and but pad and stock fit well together. I was not going to sand on the stock but the sides are wider than they were on the end of the stock so I had to sand it to get it even with the butt pad.

Now just waiting on the sling swivel stud for the magazine tube. I like how thick Winchester made the magazine tube. Double the thickness of anyone else's. I took off the sight hood, using iron sights I like to see the gold dot shine from the sun. Also removed the hammer spur, not needed. To me the 12" LOP makes the rifle fun to shoot. I did have to raise the rear sight one notch and adjust the front sight to the left just a tad. But she is definitely a shooter.

Return to Winchester Model 9422 Rimfire