70's and 88's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 am
This is something I should know, just haven't gotten into it. Looking at a really clean post 64 model 88 the other day, and I understand from a few reviews that the only difference in pre and post was changing the checkering from cut to pressed. Is there any change from an engineering/design standpoint on 88's to be aware of? The 70's were overhauled to the extent that pre and post models were established, but I've never heard about others. Should there be a premium attached to an 88 in regard to pre status? Thanks.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am
Not really up to speed on that info...but I'm sure someone will be along to help.

Standby...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:45 pm
Model 88's manufactured before 1957 had a 3 bump recoil lug "inletted" into the stock at the rear of the receiver, later modified to a round shape recoil lug to eliminate a stock splitting problem with some early production guns.. I personally don't have an issue with that on my 1955 Model 88 that I recently acquired. There were other minor manufacture/mechanical issues/updates/upgrades were done to the Model 88 prior to 1957. No issues that detract from early production model 88's from 1955 to 1957 years in my opinion. I'm one that prefers the year 55 because it was the first year of the Model 88 chambered in the then "new" .308 cartridge only. Aesthetically I like the cut checkering pattern on the Pre-64's versus pressed "oak leaf" checkering of the Post-64's. I also feel that the Pre-64's walnut stocks were darker, or perhaps this is because of aging as well. Of course 1964 being the year of big changes in Winchester, cost cutting measures, manufacturing being sent outside of the USA and such to some feeling that the Post-64's not being on par with Pre-64 models as with any line from Winchester that carried over Post-64. Thus the reason you find typically Pre-64's bringing a higher "premium", and the fact that they are sought after more so account of this as you know. Mechanically however for the most part not much differences. The 55 - 57 Model 88's of course are early production, and other than issues/update being made, the only visual difference being the recoil lug. The .284 caliber Model 88's are the most scarce of Model 88's as they were only produced from 1963 - 1972, with a .284 Carbine model produced 1968 - 1970. The .284's are also one of the most faked rifles with a .284 barrel being installed on a wrong serialized number receiver, as well as to a correct serialized receiver that originally came in a different caliber. There were approx. 35,300 .284 Model 88's produced from 1963 - 1972. Out of these about 2,900 had cut checkering, with about 32,400 with impressed checkering. Main thing as with any firearm is check serial number and such to make sure it all adds up. Good luck in your endeavors! Post pics no matter what ya get!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:28 am
Lots of good info, many thanks! I had forgotten about the lugged barrel, which is also a model 70 feature. I'm in the Texas panhandle and 88's don't pop up too often, always worth a look. I had a 308 a few years back but it wa a post model and I just never warmed up to the pressed checkering. This 243 I'm currently admiring will likely stay at the retailer and I'll just keep my eyes open. We all have stories of "the one that got away", mine is an 88 I found in a pawn shop while in college, in .358 Win, for a couple of hundred bucks. Being a student,it was either buy it or spend the money foolishly on food and rent! Ah, to have been rich instead of good looking! Thanks again.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:12 pm
Yes the 3 lug was bolt was a bolt action feature that they "sold" well too as a bolt action with a lever! No I just can't personally, even if only aesthetically, get past the pressed checkering it just doesn't look good to me. Of course doesn't mean they aren't fine rifles just not my cup of tea so to speak. Stories upon stories of the one that got away lol! If ya find an 88 and nab it make sure ya post pics of her! Good luck in your search. There are a lot of them on Gunbroker.com from time to time.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Pre-64 Models