Correct Crown for 1956 M70 Target?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:20 am
I've been looking at a 1956 M70 with medium barrel in 243 Win. The owner believes the rifle to be correct and original save for a minor mod to the stock forearm. I havent actually seen any of these target rifles nor many images online. I'm unsure if the crown was original? Anyone have an opinion on originality? The rifle seems to have that rough blue that many of these rifles had.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am
Not sure about your question...but someone here will probably know.
20g
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:45 am
Desmo, thanks for posting this unique tap. An answer will be welcome.

Perhaps the sight was removed for a scope ?
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:39 pm
Haven't yet determined if this is original yet, but have confirmed that Target models of this vintage were shipped without sites, and with scope blocks (of the type that would have worked with period Unertl's, Lyman's etc). I also read where Winchester used stainless barrels during this time and that accounted for the type of "bluing" that is evident on the barrel. Does anyone have a copy of "The Rifleman's Rifle" to check in? thx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 am
Interesting can we see the rest of the gun

Let's see if I can answer all the questions I think your asking

The "crown" which is actually a counter bore on these models looks pretty close if any thing I would say it's a bit shallow take a measurement of the barrel length to confirm it hasn't been shortened
the measurement goes to the center of the gas port and lengths are exact the bare metal looks a bit suspicious

Yes Winchester used stainless barrels They have a mottled look under the barrel you should find the ST stamp near the index mark for a stainless barrel

And again correct some rifles were not furnished with sights while others were while the early variation used a dovetail
The later used the 2 screws for the block

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 am
Your next question is how rare right lol
683 243 targets were made

Return to Pre-64 Models