barrel reduction

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:35 am
Hey, troops! Been gone awhile, just popping in with an odd question! Recently rescued a pretty nice 53 model 70. Some Philistine used EDM (electrical discharge machining) to poke some slots in the first two inches of the barrel, two at the base of the front sight and two slightly back and down. First impulse is to just leave it alone and live with it, since I doubt they could be closed, as in plugged by welding. Second is to shorten the barrell from 24 to 22 and reinstall the front ramp sight. It's a 300 win mag and not really worried about performance suffering much. Any opinions?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 am
Leaving it alone will cost less...

Shortening the barrel will require re-crowning and re-installing new front site...

But hey...it's your rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 am
Think I'll just leave it alone. Oh,had a typo, meant 63 not 53. I think EDM was a muzzle brake sort if thing, maybe it will be a pretty good deal. First thing I noticed was a slip-on pad over the professionally installed pad; guessing the previous owner was a little recoil sensitive! Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am
No problem...

Who knows...it make work well !!

Return to Pre-64 Models