Old Model 69

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:35 pm
I was given a Winchester Model 69 in poor condition.

The best I can tell is that is a 1935 production according to info from here and Wikipedia. Once I got the bolt to work, it cocks on closing and has the safety knob on the rear of the bolt.

It had a lot of dirt, dust and surface rust. Using Hoppes #9 and KRoil (not together) I got most of the surface rust off and it is now operational. I scoped the bore with an endoscope after cleaning and it looks good. The stock is in good shape.

I got most surface rust off the outer barrel except for one spot that was badly pitted. It is still a work in progress.

I am not sure what to do with the pitted rust. Should I use something like Naval Jelly and re-blue just that spot?

Any recommendations?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 am
That would be what I would suggest Steve...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm
I have come to the conclusion that I need to reblue the barrel. Is there documentation for removing front and rear sights and bolt disassembly? Where could I get it?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm
YouTUBE...

Search on: Model 69 and removing front and rear sights

Then...another search: Model 69 bolt disassembly.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:42 pm
After doing more research and close examination of the rifle, I came to the conclusion that it has little collector value. But it shoots well.

I took the rifle to a friend who said he would reblue the barrel. So I took the rifle barrel with receiver. He reblued it. He took apart the receiver assembly less the trigger Now the bolt won't go in.

Is there some documentation on how to assemble the receiver mechanisms for the magazine or assembly instructions for the rifle?
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:01 pm
Nice find Steve,

Try this link: https://thepackingrat.net/2007/10/06/wi ... lt-action/
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm
Thanks for the links, but I am interested in reassembly of the receiver assembly where you insert the magazine. My bolt works fine. When inserting the bolt, it won't close. It did previous to my friend disassembling the rifle to reblue the barrel.

I am going to call Numricks and see if they have any help.
20g
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:34 pm
Sorry no joy with the procedure. I was thinking if you saw the bolt disassembled and the receiver might help. The fellow mentioned 2 pins in the bolt he bruised one slightly and had to mill a tad to get the bolt seated.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm
Numrich was no help.

I found a possibility with Homestead Firearms http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_2649.htm. I will buy one, I have another pump action old .22. Perhaps they have a manual for it as well.

It is not a complex mechanism. I think I can figure it out. But, when it comes to firearms I would rather be safe than sorry.

Return to Pre-64 Models