Model 70 .270

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:37 pm
Hello, new to the forum and new to pre-64 models. I just received a model 70 and was hoping some of you could share your knowledge about these rifles. According to the serial number and proofhouse.com it was made in 1963. The metal appears to be in excellent condition but the stock is refinished and badly done in my opinion. First question, the receiver has a matte finish and the barrel is polished. Is that the standard finish for pre-64 model 70s? Also, it is missing the rear sight. Are these avaliable (and affordable)? Since the stock looks pretty bad I would like to refinish it. What sort of finish was it originally? What finish could I apply today that would most closely duplicate the original? Thanks in advance for any help.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 am
Hi, I am also new to the forum, but also own a 270W pre 64. Mine is a 1949 model. It appears to be in ver original condition and the reciever is matte finished and the barrel is gloss. I owned another that was the same and one that had been rebarrelled with a SS barreland the reciever was matte. I am missing the blade off the rear sight, but the base on mine is part of the barrel and appears to have a bedding screw through the stock underneath.

The stock has a matte finish that appears to be oil finished. I put a few drops of gun oil underneath it just now and it appears to soak in, so it definetly looks like it is oil rubbed.

I just snapped a few pics,here is one showing most of what you are interested in:

Here is a link to the page, there are a few more photos there:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/ ... ck/Rifles/
"I'll helpyou down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

Towns tamed, widders consoled, deep thoughts thunk, sipping whisky graded.

Return to Pre-64 Models