Winchester Model 42 with Poly Choke Vented Rib

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:13 am
I am taking shipment of a 1954 model 42 with a Poly Choke Vented Rib with a fixed modified choke barrel.

Research has lead me to believe that the barrel was sent to poly choke and installed at their facility since Winchester only used Simmons for factory installs.

Can anyone comment on this or maybe provide other info on the poly choke rib? Was is possible that Winchester may have use poly choke ribs in a limited install?

Rick Mansberger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 pm
Not sure Rick...bumping this question to top.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 am
Off hand and I am going off memory but I do not believe Winchester used Poly Choke, and sounds like someone had done after it left factory. 1954, I am partial to 50's era Winchesters and eventually a mid 50s Model 42 will reside in my safe. Post pics of her when ya can love to see her!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:02 pm
Winchester used the "Cutts" choke on their guns. I don't ever remember a Poly installed by Simmons.

Pops

oops, just re-read the post.. Nope to my knowledge they never installed Poly Choke ribs either at Simmons. Poly did the installs at their factory just like the chokes. I believe that rib is also glued on and not silver soldered due to the fact we used to install them in our shop.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:45 pm
I wasn't even aware that Poly Choke made ribs my understanding is (now was) it was either a Winchester or Simmons rib my 42 deluxe field has a Simmons rib. I also was not aware that some ribs were glued on,must be good glue.

I have a 1956 Gun Digest which I will now look through to upgrade my knowledge base.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:49 pm
Bob you are correct, it was either Winchester or Simmons ribs on the Model 42's! I was not aware of glued on ribs either, nor that Poly choke made ribs.

I looked through my 4th Edition of the Red Book and found no reference to any other ribs on Model 42's other than Winchester and Simmons. EDIT: Rick from what I have referenced as well from my information Simmons as you stated were the ones who installed ribs for Winchester on the Model 42's. EDIT: Cutts WERE used on the Model 42s available on Skeet guns beginning in 1954! Special Order Only.

Rick if ya can post some photos of her when you take shipment of her if ya get a chance.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Winchester Model 42