story & question

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:32 pm
I'm branny new to your site but would like to share a short story and ask a question.

In1959, my brother, dad and I were working cattle in the mountains in Wyo. We were horseback naturally. I was 17 at the time. As I topped a cedar ridge I saw a guy riding up on a draft horse. It was a spanish basco, sheep herder from a neighboring ranch. He had a mod 92, SR carbine, 25-20 in a saddle scabbard and wanted to sell it. Who at age 17 and working cattle has any money on him, if he had any money, period.

Anyway, between the three of us I was able to round up $67 and bought the rifle and scabbard. I still have it and shoot it and my grandkids love it. SN 795400 (1914) I think.

My question is When I got it home and looked in the bore I was stunned. The barrel was pretty badly pitted although the grooves etc are pronounced. Over the years I have cleaned it with hot water and soap, ultrasound and now just good cleaning products. The gun shoots very accurately and have never had a problem but the pitting has not gone away although I don't think it is as bad as it was originally.

Does anyone have a magic potion for cleaning pitted barrels?

UF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:41 pm
Never had a barrel get pitted in my 40+ years of shooting and collecting ( REAL Lucky I Guess !! )...

I tend to be OCD ( just ask the wife ) when it comes to cleaning and maintenance...and being retired...I have the time to empty the climate controlled "Safes" and check each and every firearm I own on a monthly basis...

So...can't help ya brother.

But...stick around and/or stop back occasionally to see if the membership here can help you.

I can offer this quick search:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cleaning%2 ... 93C6058DCD

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:51 pm
Thanks shooterIll watch the vids

UF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:58 pm
Saddle carbines have traditionally been working rifles, subject to the elements, rough treatment, and lack of proper cleaning. Just the way it was.

Try one of the foaming bore cleaners, I've had good results with them for cleaning out copper fouling followed by an application of JB bore paste, but nothing short of a reline or rebore will get rid of pits. Some pitted bores shoot okay, but are miserable to clean due to fouling build up in the pits.

I ran across a Winchester 1894 SRC in .30WCF with a pitted bore, I got it at a decent price, shot it with poor results. I tried fire lapping with pull down 147gr. FMJ bullets and got decent accuracy, but what did I have but a single shot, as spritzer bullets are a big no-no in a Winchester 1894. I tried a fellow who did relining, but he was much too busy and backed up with work. Finally after much self debate, I sent it off to JES Reboring in Washington state and now have a .38-55 WCF with a perfect bore.

You can do several things with your carbine to make a shooter out of it again, reline, rebore, or rebarrel. Relining will keep it most original of course, reboring will bring it up to .32 WCF, (possibly .38SPL or .357 Magnum) and rebarreling is an option if a barrel can be found. I've read of a shop in FLA. that makes new barrels for old Winchester lever guns, but forget the name for now.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:43 pm
Thanks all.
I been away for quite a while and realized this thread was still out here although quite old now.
I haven't done anything with this old girl as she still shoots just fine albeit a pain in the bum to clean.
I wonder about relining etc and what it would do to the value of this original piece.
Its not about a value to sell as I never sell one of my firearms. They will all pass to my son and grandson in time.
But still want to maintain any and all the value inherent in this model and type.

UF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm
Unfortunately a pitted bore is a pitted bore was probably caused by shooting the old black powder shells and not properly cleaned as it was more corrosive

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting