Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpening System

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:27 pm
My adoring wife bought me this system for Christmas...and I must say it works pretty damn good. Now, every knife, pair of scissors, axe, shovel blade, ...anything that has an edge ...is razor sharp !!

The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener uses flexible abrasive belts, and is able to sharpen not just straight bladed knives, but also curved knives, tanto blades, filet knives, serrated knives, gut hooks and virtually any other shape of knife blade. Using precision angle sharpening guides to ensure that you get the proper angle every time...there are two guides included: a 50° guide for hunting and outdoor knives (25° per bevel) and a 40° guide for thinner blades and kitchen knives (20° per bevel).

==============================

At Lowes it was $79.99 on sale ( less with our military discount ) with two extra grit belts each included...

Extra belts can also be purchased at point of sale for $9.99 a box...

http://www.worksharptools.com/sportsman ... s.tpl.html

================================
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 pm
From what I see in the picture, it looks like it has a ceramic rod for finishing too ? Does this system work the blade dry or wet?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm
The Retractable Honing Rod works dry...

So...What knife and tool sharpening system does everyone else use to keep things sharp around the home...?!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 am
I use a small diamond hone to set the initial angle on a blade that has been sharpened poorly or that is excessively dull or worn. I use a ceramic rod for finishing, ceramic leaves a very fine sharp edge, better than any wetstone I've tried.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm
I have a Lansky sharpening system that I could always sharpen a knife to razor sharp with. I did buy the work sharp last year though and I absolutely love the thing. The beauty of it is the speed that it can get the job done.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:33 pm
I have the Ken Onion version of this tool and have used it for about three years with good results. It works well and provides for a convex edge. The belts are fairly durable and the machine is pretty easy to learn. The only caveats are:

1. It's easy to remove too much metal if you aren't careful. Go to the second-hand store and but some garbage knives to practice on.

2. It requires electricity. If you're camping or concerned with the zombie apocalypse, then a manual system is a better option. I don't have the patience to learn how to free-hand on stones so I bought the Edge Pro Apex system. It's like a Lansky system on steroids. I have switched over to it exclusively now. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a sharpening system.

Return to Knives